International Student Housing Advice


Guides & Advice for Choosing Student Accommodation

Types of Student Properties
Length of Contract
Furnished or Unfurnished
Types of Student Properties

Private Halls

Built specifically for students.

Usually a good option as your rent typically covers bills and insurance.

Social opportunities (events, parties and more) as you live with other students.

Many also have the option of studios, which means you are living very independently while not worrying about bills. 

Rent amount varies and can be between £110 and £160  per week, although some places such as London tend to be more expensive.


You normally rent them from a letting agent or landlord. 

May or may not share with other students as this depends on the type of flat that you rent.

More independent style of living but you have to keep in check for bills and other potential costs.

The average weekly rent is £70 per week in addition to utility bills. This is the average amount of rent if you share a house with other people

Length of Contract

Most housing contracts in the UK are normally only available for longer periods of time (6 months or more). 

If you want to look for a house for a period for less than 6 months, we can help:

Get in touch with us 


If you choose a private hall:

Bills are generally included in your rent when you live in a private hall. This will be discussed when you sign your contract; we can advise you on this if you have any confusion or questions about the process.

If you choose a house/flat/apartment:

Some agents do offer a deal that your rent price includes your bills. However, some do not offer this option.

If you want your bills to be included and want to live somewhere other than a private hall, click the “bills included” box on “Advanced Search Options” when looking for properties on Interhousing.

Furnished or Unfurnished


There is usually no standard definition of what furnished property is; However, a furnished property will normally have: bed, sofa in the living room, table and dining equipment, fridge and cooker.

This option is usually better to go for as you do not have to worry about adding the missing amenities to your house.


You normally have to pay a damage/security deposit prior to signing your contract to secure the accommodation that you wish to book. 

The amount of deposits vary in different kinds of accommodation (see our guide on types of accommodation above) and normally starts from £200-£300. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What does Studyflats do ?

Interhousing is a student housing marketplace and helps you see different types of properties around the UK. 

We made Interhousing with one thing in mind: supporting international students with finding the best housing abroad. This includes helping you throughout the whole process: from finding your next home, signing contracts and paying your deposit and rent. 

How do I book a room ?

It couldn’t be any simpler. Simply browse our website and once you’ve found the property that seems suitable, enquire through the form in the property description. 

We will then assign you to a booking executive who will get in touch with you to discuss your preferences. Don’t worry, we’ll make sure that everything is taken care of before you move in. 

What will I need to make a booking ?

You will normally need a few things before renting a property in the UK. The most important ones are usually:


You will need this upon signing the contract. A Guarantor must normally be a uk-resident individual in full-time employment. If you don’t have a guarantor, let your booking executive know and they will do their best to help you. If you do not have a guarantor, you may be required to pay your entire rent in one or two instalments. 


You normally have to pay a deposit, which will be returned to you upon the end of your tenancy, subject to no damages to the property. 

Does Interhousing charge me for bookings ?

No, our service and advice is completely free for students.