Student Housing Guide

Types of Student Accommodation in the UK

Private Student Halls​​

Built specifically for students.

Usually a good option as your rent typically covers bills and insurance.

Social opportunities (events, parties and more) as you live with other students.

Many also have the option of studios, which means you are living very independently while not worrying about bills. 

Rent amount varies and can be between £110 and £160  per week, although some places such as London tend to be more expensive.

Houses & Apartments​

You normally rent them from a letting agent or landlord. 

May or may not share with other students as this depends on the type of flat that you rent.

More independent style of living but you have to keep in check for bills and other potential costs.

The average weekly rent is £70 per week in addition to utility bills. This is the average amount of rent if you share a house with other people

Length of contract




Long-term (+ 6 months): 

 Most housing contracts in the UK are normally only available for longer periods of time (6 months or more). 




Short-term (Less than 6 months):

If you want to look for a house for a period for less than 6 months, get in touch with us 

Utility bills

Private Student Halls

Houses & Apartments

Bills are generally included in your rent when you live in a private hall. This will be discussed when you sign your contract; we can advise you on this if you have any confusion or questions about the process.

Some agents & landlords do offer a deal that your rent price includes your bills. However, some may not offer this option.

If you want your bills to be included and want to live somewhere other than a private hall, click the “bills included” box on “Advanced Search Options” when looking for properties on StudyFlats.


You normally have to pay a damage/security deposit prior to signing your contract to secure the accommodation that you wish to book. 

The amount of deposits vary in different kinds of accommodation (see our guide on types of accommodation above) and normally starts from £200-£300. 

Frequently Asked Questions

StudyFlats is a student housing marketplace and helps you see different types of properties around the UK. 

We made StudyFlats with one thing in mind: supporting international students with finding the best housing abroad. This is particularly the case as there are  student accommodation engines which only act as a “digital newspaper” rather than a service personally tailored to you and your needs. 

This includes helping you throughout the whole process: from finding your next home, signing contracts and paying your deposit and rent. Alternatively, if you instantly decide on a room then we will immediately arrange for booking that property for you. 

A guarantor is a third party, such as a parent or close relative, who agrees to pay your rent if you don’t pay it.

You will need a guarantor if you wish to pay your rent on for example a monthly basis or several instalments. 

Most accommodation providers and landlords require the guarantor to be UK-based although this may vary from landlord to landlord. 

If you do need a guarantor, let your booking consultant know  and we can advice you on what to do. 

It couldn’t be any simpler. Simply browse our website and once you’ve found the property that seems suitable, enquire through the form in the property description. 

We will then assign you to a booking executive who will get in touch with you to discuss your preferences. Don’t worry, we’ll make sure that everything is taken care of before you move in. 

You will normally need a few things before renting a property in the UK. The most important ones are usually:


You will need this upon signing the contract. A Guarantor must normally be a uk-resident individual in full-time employment. If you don’t have a guarantor, let your booking executive know and they will do their best to help you. If you do not have a guarantor, you may be required to pay your entire rent in one or two instalments. 


You normally have to pay a deposit, which will be returned to you upon the end of your tenancy, subject to no damages to the property. 

No, our service and advice is completely free for students.